I am working on the topic of Reiki healing because I want to find out how it is beneficial for overall health in order to help my reader better understand energy healing and how it can help them. I have a lot of interest in energy healing because I think it can be a great supplement to contemporary medical practices. It has been used for hundreds of years and it is gaining popularity again. I think it would be difficult to fully explain the effects of Reiki and the actual practice/experience itself without having first hand experience or expertise (I’m not a practitioner of Reiki and it requires training). I want to incorporate the disciplines of traditional energy healing practices and modern medicine as well as communication because I want to make my findings understandable to readers who don’t understand the health field; I want to help them understand how it can benefit them.
I am working on the topic of meditation because I want to find out the effects of a regular meditation practice in order to help my reader better understand how they can improve their overall wellness. Over the past year or so I have begun to adopt a regular meditation practice and I have found that it has benefitted me a lot. I want to understand exactly why this is and share it with others so that they understand. I think it will be hard to find actual hard scientific information about this kind of thing, but I’m determined to do so. I want to combine spirituality with psychology and health science to teach readers the interconnectedness of the mind and body.
I am working on the topic of lifestyle coaching because I want to find out why a healthy lifestyle is so important in order to help my reader better understand how they can achieve overall success in all seven dimensions of wellness. In the future, I’d like to try a career in lifestyle/health coaching because I want to help others lead healthy lives. Wellness is about more than diet and exercise, and I think if more people understood this they could help improve their own lives. I think actually putting an experiment together on this would be hard because I don’t have experience in life coaching. This is a huge combination of communications and health, which are the disciplines at the center of my major. I need to figure out how to take my scientific background and use my communication skills to teach others how to live healthful lives and improve their wellness across all planes.
I am working on the topic of holistic health to better understand why the mind and spirit are so critical to health in order to help my reader better understand how to achieve health AND happiness. I think a holistic approach to health is the future and it is what I want to pursue as a career. It isn’t a “new” concept, but it is on the rise and lots of people don’t understand it. Although it will be a challenge, I want to utilize my skills in the field of communication to explain really what holistic health is. I want to help people find both health and happiness.
I am working on the topic of integrating contemporary and traditional medicine because I want to find out how we can combine these practices for optimal health as a population in order to help my reader better understand what medical options are out there for them. I’m a big believer that a lot of disease, surgery, and hard medications could be avoided by incorporating traditional with contemporary medicine. I think health of the population would be greatly improved if we found ways to integrate these two separate disciplines of health. I think the challenge here would be explaining what traditional medicine is and is not, and how the two actually can be used together.
I’ve had a hard time thinking of ideas for my applied project, but I’ve come up with some general ideas that still need specifics.
- Being a lifestyle coach for a few friends of mine, and assessing their health and wellbeing before, during, and after a couple months of working with them. It would be a reflective piece relying on a lot of interviews and such. I think the challenges would be actually getting my friends to make the changes I ask them to, and finding ways to measure growth.
- Working with a local reiki healing expert to experience reiki first-hand, talk with her clients on what it has done with them, and get her perspective and expertise on energy healing. I think this could be very interesting, but I’m not exactly sure what I want to do with this.
- Working with the naturopathic doctor in Plymouth to understand what he does and discuss with his clients what his work has done for them. Again, I don’t know exactly what I want to do with this but I would love to work with him to understand what he does, how, why, etc.
- I have an idea that is a little more personal than the rest, as it would be focused on myself. I want to do an experiment on myself where I give myself a health plan pulling on all 7 aspects of wellness. I want to give myself a regimen to tap into all of these things to see how it improves my life, physical health, so on and so forth. However, I think it would be hard to measure my own progress.
- I would like to get together a large group of people to get a meditation group going, where we would have group meditation sessions, yoga, and most importantly, reflection. Similar to the lifestyle coaching idea, it would be all about their growth and improvement and how it has improved their lives. Again it would be challenging to measure their growth on a set scale, but it could be more interview and reflection focused.